Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bastardy Grump.

You know, sometimes I just want to give up.

Not tango itself, but...a lot of people show up every night, dance around, go home. They tango Tuesdays, waltz Wednesdays, salsa Saturdays, swing Sundays. They do it to get out of the house, to have a good time with friends, whatever.

They don't sit around breaking their feet to the ground until their heels bruise, working on getting feet like Geraldine. They don't agonize over the length of their back step, over their embrace, over their inability to properly lead to Biagi. Tango just doesn't hurt for them, and none of my snark will make them care as much as I care.

So, what's the point?

The tango-blog-as-personal-journey has a much more lenient expiration date, since the chronicle of a life tends to make a good story no matter the subject, but this blog is anonymous, and there's only so much I can say that applies to everyone. My meaningful experiences with tango tend to happen far away from this blog; the generalities are wearing thin, especially as the internet fills up with "man, I hate it when the leader smells" posts.

So, what can you do? How many times can you say something before it stops being funny and just gets strident? How long before you turn into some asshole who blogs a thousand words a day just to listen to the sound of his own keyboard (Miles)?

Yes, I'm in a bad mood, and I'm sure my bad mood will lift in direct proportion to the number of hideous tango dresses I can find online in the next week, but for the moment...nada.

9 comments:

La Nuit Blanche said...

it's a good idea to stop reading blogs that make you crazy... i stopped reading M's a long time ago.

there will always be posts about smelly leaders/followers, as long as there are beginners and new dancers. it is something everyone goes through, and these superficial details are as much a part of the journey as the deeply meaningful personal experiences.

so cheer up and don't be so hard on us beginners who are going through what you went through years ago. just turn a blind eye to the posts that put you in a bad mood. like practicing cabeceo online? :)

besos.

Sorin said...

> but this blog is anonymous, and there's only so much I can say that applies to everyone

So step out of the shadows. Give yourself the freedom to write about what you want.

Debbi said...

Ahhh, but when you care, it makes the moments that are divine even more so. Mainly because you can recognize them as such. Some people have no idea of the absolute delight one can take in being able to follow or lead dynamic pauses and changes, tiny little movements that only your partner feels, and feel that connection that means you are both right here, right now. So grump away, its healthy. And we still adore you. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and I hope you keep up with it. I learn a lot from it.

I love tango. It's the best partner dance I know. And I do take it seriously enough to care about getting all the nuances right. Yes, I am one who does "agonize over the length of their back step, over their embrace".

However...I am also one of those people who "tango Tuesdays", "waltz Wednesdays", whatever. I enjoy having variety in my life and it keeps me sane. Just because I take tango seriously, doesn't mean I allow it to dictate all of my moods. I hope you cheer up soon and keep on writing.

They don't sit around breaking their feet to the ground until their heels bruise, working on getting feet like Geraldine. They don't , over their inability to properly lead to Biagi. Tango just doesn't hurt for them, and none of my snark will make them care as much as I care.

Anonymous said...

Dear Planchadora,

You are my very very favorite tango blogger, mostly because you out-snark everyone else, but also because you use proper grammar and punctuation.

Your anonymity suits you well. Sometimes I watch the followers at a milonga and wonder if they have the capacity to snark as you do.

(I think that you would not like me, because I can and do tango on Saturday and waltz on Sunday. This merely means that I do different steps to different music, not that the dance hurts any less.)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's still a bit early for you to pull a Bill Waterson, but I understand what it's like for the initial infatuation with both tango and blogging to morph into something a bit less easily communicated.

Anonymous said...

Planchadora, even when you are a "Bastardy Grump", you slay me.

I have noticed a predominance of over-thinking tango from a lot of bloggers, and I think you may be suffering from the same affliction.

At some point, you have to let go of the thinking, measuring, quantifying and intellectualizing of this dance (assuming you have the basics down...), and just FEEL it. You will never find the correct measurement - whether you lead OR follow - because every single partner, every single song, every time you dance, will be different.

The adjustments must come from the physical, not the mental experience.

Maria said...

I do hope you don't stop writing. I love your blog anonymous... I think it gives you a freedom to step back and say things with clarity without fearing creating unintended 'personal attacks'. I think you are one of the most insightful, funniest, wittiest, wisest Tango bloggers we have around (and no... I'm not saying this because the bar has been set low by some... Mmmmmmm). I do hope you don't abandon us... in fact, let me share one thing with you: I do know what you mean when you say that sometimes it becomes harder to find what to say, because as you grow in Tango, your understanding of it is about things, feelings, relationships that are ever more subtle and harder to explain. It may take you longer to find the inspiration, but in my view whenever it comes out it will be your critical insight, with a lot of value added.

Don't even think of throwing the towel... PLEASE.

Anonymous said...

(stomps her feet) But I LIIIIIKE your blog! sniff sniff

billet doux said...

dear planchadora..i have enjoyed immensely reading your blog.