Friday, November 10, 2006

I could have danced all night...

But really I left at 10:30, because I have a job and because it was disappointing.

I went back with my highest heels (4 inches and a smidge) and sat in a place where it was easy to ask me. I chatted with my friends and sipped on a seltzer and radiated dance awesomeness to the world.

A gentleman asked to dance; he had danced with me when I was a wee beginner, and tango etiquette sort of demands that you acknowledge such kindnesses, so I accepted.

It was not so good; he repeated the same series of steps, so I began to anticipate (the last thing I need reinforced right now), and He held me really close - like, pervy close - which threw me off my embryonic axis and shoko me up for the rest of the night. I actually got a great dance a little while later, with a very good dancer who has a great sense of musicality, but it was hard to keep up with him because I spent the whole time trying to find my axis and extension again. Awkward!

Don't know what to do about that. I don't have a problem saying no (I turned down a guy I never wanted to dance with again, because, well, I didn't want to dance with him again, so if he never asks again he just spares me another No), but etiquette sort of demands I dance with this guy because back in the day, he danced with me. I understand it and I think there's a great deal of logic in the arrangement, but it begs the question: how strong is "for old times' sake"?

At least I've danced there now; I've watched the crowd and realized I can hold my own here, given the right partner who has exquisite balance and musicality and wants to dance with me for hours. (HAHAHAHAHAH! Sorry, that cracked me up.)


No comments: