Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tango Video of the Week #1

It really doesn't get better than this.

That's not a matter of opinion. It's Geraldine Rojas and Javier Rodriguez, who were the world's most innovative and popular tango couple for ten years. When they broke up in 2005 it was viewed on the level of a national tragedy; the art of tango had lost something great.

They are both still dancing, and both their new partners are wonderful dancers, but the magic is gone. Watch the clip and see what I mean.


(Technical detail: they dance Villa Urquiza style, which is defined by the womans' s hand low on the man's back, the woman stepping on the whole foot rather than just the instep, and the woman stepping straight back rather than making a point of brushing the ankles. I'm sure the man does some stuff, too, but I'm a follower, so.)


p.s. If you have a video you want to recommend, or have made a video of yourself, point me to it! I love watching tango almost as much as I love dancing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It really doesn't get better than this. That's not a matter of opinion."

You've seen every couple in the world, then? ;)

ShakespeareSpaniel said...

I think the point here is that their quality together engenders enthusiastic superlatives - and probably deserves them. Certainly their dancing is a more interesting issue than the test conditions.