Thursday, November 23, 2006

Candencia Comes to Town

Candencia came to visit friends in town this week, and she called me to let me know she had arrived.

"Hello," she said, and I said, "Tango?!"

She's two months in and hasn't yet been to a milonga, as is the normal way.

"I don't know how I feel about it yet," she said, and I said, "Tomorrow!"

I maintain it's not being pushy if she knew what she was in for.

She gamely appeared for the beginner's class, and I led her around as she looked over the people already assembled a little bemusedly; it was a particularly hopeless class, and I have a feeling a lot of people just got up from dinner to join without ever having had a class before.

"Feel better?" I asked as the class transitioned, and she said, "Well, they're not really dancers, are they?"

You see why I love her.

She begged off the intermediate class until we saw what it was about; it was a pretty cool little step, actually, and if she hadn't come back of her own accord I would have dragged her back anyway. We got it after about five minutes, and her mood improved greatly as she realized she could pick up in five minutes what it took some people an hour to figure out. I could have told her already that she was very good - she was a light follower, and her ochos were the kind of glued-ankle pivots I'm still working on - but I think she would have discounted my opinion a little if she hadn't seen for herself.

One of my favorite partners asked me for the first tanda, and after inquring about Cadencia he returned me to my seat and invited her for the next tanda. Moments like that make me really appreciate the tango chivalry.

We hung out together, danced a little, gossiped a little, and had a blast.

Next: shoe shopping. Cadencia's ready for heels.



No comments: